Monday, June 22, 2015

MS Dhoni offers to quit captaincy after Bangladesh series loss

After India’s historic ODI series defeat against Bangladesh on Sunday night, Mahendra Singh Dhoni said he was willing to step down if that helped Indian cricket. India went down by six wickets in the rain-marred second ODI to lose the three-match series.

A sentimental Dhoni fielded a barrage of questions from the media and many of them were around his future as captain. “I am always the one who is responsible for anything bad that happens in Indian cricket. Everything that happens is because of me. Even the Bangladesh media is smiling,” Dhoni said at the post-match press conference.

“I am really enjoying my cricket. But when the earlier question was asked, I knew this question was coming. These are the questions that will keep popping up. The media loves me. If it is a justifiable thing that if you remove me and the Indian cricket will start doing really well, and if I am the reason for all the bad that is happening to Indian cricket, definitely I would love to step away and play as a player,” he added.

“It doesn’t matter who is the captain. I was never really in line to become a captain. It was a job or responsibility for me. I have taken that responsibility. It was given to me, I took it. If they want to take it away, I am happy to give it away,” he said.

-NDTV

No comments:

Post a Comment